Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
SPACER

Monday, February 15, 2010

*Tear, sniffle*

Heather and I like to keep things light on our blog, but today I'm going straight up serious.

June 20, 2009 was our son Sawyer's 2nd birthday. Around 2 am that morning my husband was driving across many states to catch up with me and the boys while we were vacationing in Utah, and to make it to our boy's big day.

I was sleeping at Heather's house. Around 8 am she knocked on the door where my now 2 year old, 6 month old and I were sleeping. She was standing there, a phone in one hand holding onto the door frame with the other. She was shaking like crazy and whispering for me to come to the door.

When I got to her I remembered my husband had been driving through the night. The first thing she said was, "He's okay, but Ernesto's been in an accident."

He rolled. He flipped. He crossed the median into the other lane of traffic. He landed upright. A mother and daughter were the only other car on the road, and they came to his side and called 911.

He was taken in an ambulance to Cheyenne Regional Medical Center in Wyoming. They did all kinds of tests, and miraculously he was okay.


A reunion more special than Sawyer knows.
I vividly remember seeing my boys awake a few minutes after hearing the news and their huge brown eyes staring back at me. For a moment I allowed my mind to go to the place where my husband wasn't coming home...it made me realize more than ever before that he is irreplaceable to us.





Now, to bring it all back to crafting, where ultimately everything must go :) When he was taken to the ER they cut all of his clothes off him. He was wearing a nice brown button up shirt that was cut to shreds. When we got all of his stuff I knew I wanted to somehow use that shirt as a reminder of all the emotions from that time.


The brown border and "families" are from his shirt.

I started with a piece of muslin and traced "are" and "forever" with pencil onto the fabric. I embroidered those words. I printed and traced "families" and used fusible web to attach it to the muslin. I hand appliqued this because my machine skills are not that great on such small letters. Then I pieced the borders to fit in a 8 x 10 frame ($3 at Walmart). I put a thin piece of quilt batting and didn't use the glass.

I love how it turned out. It makes me happy every time I see it. I stressed a lot about how I would use it, what I would say, I wanted it to be perfect. But ultimately I went simple, and for this project I think that was just right.

44 comments:

Amy said...

What a fantastic beautiful way to remember something and someone. I absolutely love it.

Barbara Sindlinger said...

So glad he's okay. Great idea for remembering how special he is to you.

Amberlee said...

Wow- I couldn't think of a more perfect reminder- really- beautiful.

Colleen said...

I am praising God Almighty for your husband surviving the horrible car accident. Your "Families Are Forever" is so special and your little ones will always remember that their Daddy's shirt is a part of your lovely framed applique.
Praying for continued Blessings for your family.
Colleen

Jena said...

I still can't believe that happened. What a miracle! I think that is the most perfect idea I have ever heard. I absolutely love how it turned out!

inadvertent farmer said...

That is just so sweet...nice reminder of your miracle! Kim

Patina Soul said...

wow! I have goosebumps! What an amazing story. Praise God that he's ok!! What a close call.
Truly beautiful that you kept the shirt and made such an adorable piece with it!

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

I am so glad that he was not hurt. Thank God for that! What a nice reminder of someone so special.

Maddy said...

I love it. You should put a copy of the story on the back of it.

Tiffany said...

I love it. It's perfect.

Stephanie said...

That is amazing! I love it! What a neat way to keep the memory of gratitude alive.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I agree with Stephanie...this is such a special way to keep your love and gratitude for your dear ones on your mind whenever you pass by this piece. :) Visiting from Kimba's party. :)

Pine Tree Home said...

What an amazing story. So sweet for you to preserve memories from that time and cherish the good from it.

Jo said...

Oh, this brought tears to my eyes!
I love it! It's perfect.

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

A miracle he was ok after seeing his vehicle... what a blessing! Such a neat idea to make something beautiful and special from his shirt.

{oc cottage} said...

WOW!

m ^..^

Heather said...

You made me tear up and remember it all over. So scary! I am so glad he is okay we love Ernesto! Love the project so cute and sweet.

Jeanette said...

I have had that knock on the door before, without the good news part, I am so very happy that your story has a happy ending.

Thank heavens for the time we get to spend with the people we love the most.

Amber said...

A great reminder for the irreplaceable and important things in life. What a special story you have to share with others.

Its So Very Cheri said...

I would love to have you post this tonight to my party Its So Very Celebrated.
Also wanted to let you know my blog moved this weekend to my own site itssoverycheri (dot) c o m Please go over and RE-Sign up to follow me there.
You won one of the gifts last week and I need you to contact the vendor and let her know which one you want and then give her your address so she can get it to you.
Congrats
Cheri

Anonymous said...

wow...What a miracle and a blessing. I am so very glad he's ok. Your memory art turned out very nice; I'm sure you'll treasure it. God Bless you.

So Sunny Day said...

oh my word! I'm tearing up just thinking of how amazing it is that you commemorated such a blessing - what a fantastic way to celebrate your his safety and your togetherness as a family. Blessings on you all!


~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Jane said...

What a great way to turn something bad/scary into something so good. I love things that have a "behind the scenes" meaning. If you had a party everyone would admire that frame, but you know the deeper meaning. Cool!

Yayi said...

Even though I don't know you and I had never read your blog before, I can assure you that families can be together forever! and that I am glad that you know that.

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Ao glad to hear that he was ok. The car picture scares me to death as I can not imagine the fear you faced. Love the project - what an amazing story it tells. Thanks for sahring - we are all so very lucky

grammajill said...

What a beautiful memory from such a scarey time! I love it! you are so creative!!!

Melody said...

This is my first visit here, but I wanted to say that your family is blessed and I thank God your husband is okay. I love the wonderful reminder out of something painful.

Heather Henderson said...

thank god he is ok! that is my biggest fear.

J-me said...

Wow that is an amzing and very meaningful piece! A few years ago, My boyfriend and i flipped his car and we came out of it clean and untouched besides a few scratches on our hands when we were crawling out. An experience like that definitly changes you and the people who love you most.

what a beautiful project though, great idea!

Shontelle said...

What a lovely project. It turned out beautifully.

Kim said...

Thank goodness he's okay. Your frame is beautiful.

amylouwhosews said...

wow. What a story. I'm impressed you want to remember it.... I guess the remembering how grateful you are for him is good, but those other feelings. Ugh.

I love it framed. So cute!

Mandy Noble said...

You have brought tears to my eyes!

Rene' said...

So glad your husband is alright. What a scary thought. I love how you used his shirt to make this project. The words are perfect. Too wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

Anne at Film and Thread said...

What a great story and a way to remember and be thankful

Sarcastic Quilter said...

A wonderful way to remember, be grateful and celebrate! It turned out beautifully.

Leslie said...

so scary and so good to know he is ok. that wall hanging is such a beautiful idea

QuiltyBee said...

What a blessing our "hobby" can be for our families. And what a blessing that you help your family remember tough times--so healthy :)

Karen said...

Thank you for sharing your story. I love your framed 'memories'.

Kristen said...

Quite a reminder of how special family is. Very sweet.

Katie said...

Oh my I am so glad what could've been a horrible day ended up okay. You've creating a lovely reminder about how precious family is. I am really moved by your special piece and the story behind it.

Jill said...

Megan I love it! Your great mind and creativity is amazing. What a great thing to have forever!

Katie said...

I know this post is older but I am coming to your blog for the first time and saw this. What a great idea to remember that your family is forever! So glad everyone ended up being okay and that you got such a great craft out of it!

Liz @ LivingMySweetLife said...

your story gave me goosebumps. i was so happy to see that your husband walked away. what a beautiful way to remember how much your husband means to you and your family.