Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
SPACER

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Singed flower headband tutorial...

Singed Flower Tutorial...


Hi folks, today we are going to learn how to make singed flower hair clips or headbands. I didn't invent these, I have been seeing them around blog land lately, but I will show you what I know, and add in some tulle (which I haven't seen yet...)

Supplies needed:
Scissors
Synthetic silk fabric (don't get the real thing, I tried, doesn't work) anything synthetic is fine.
tulle
matches
beads
headband, or hair clampy clip thingy.
Don't get perfect here. Just cut three circles each smaller than the other. My largest here is probably 4 inches. But you can play around with this. These do not have to be perfect circles.

Okay, this was a little hard taking a pic. But all you do is light a match and move it around the edges of the flower. You mostly want the heat on the fabric, not the flame or it may burn and get black. Which is fine for some colors, but not alot.  You will see the fabric start to melt and bend and pucker. Do this to all three...

Next cut 3-4 2 inch squares of tulle. (don't break out a ruler or anything, just eyeball it)
Fold the tulle in half, then in half again.

Then round it off with scissors...


Now if you have any miniature humans around you begging for food, you may have to make a grilled cheese in the middle... You can see I started to hot glue my layers.


Just put a blob of hot gule in the center, add a layer, etc. Then at the top, do a big blog and add 3 beeds.  Some folks are more of perfectionists than I am, in that case, you can do this with a needle and thread.

Hot glue to the head band. And I don't think I need to say this, but please offset the flower. We don't want people walking around with a flower on the tip top of their head..

Ta Da! You are done!


Now sit back and admire them on your head, or in this case your cute daughter's head...
Now look at your cute flower headband....

Now look at  your mess....

Now look again at your flowers...

Now the mess...

Was it worth it????? What do you think???

linking up to amylouwho

22 comments:

Angie said...

It was worth the mess! That is what projects are for!! Clever idea to singed the flowers.

Ariane said...

I love this idea!!! Thanks for the tutorial!!!

Kianna Domgaard said...

Super Cute FIFI

grammajill said...

These are really pretty.

KennaCaroline said...

Pretty flowers!

Megan said...

Love it! So funny..glad you made the grilled cheese halfway through and definitely glad you added the tip to offset the flowers. So funny, you don't want to be responsible for some nerdy headbands :)

Larri said...

I'm totally trying this...after my kids go to bed. Don't think I could do it with them around and still preach, "Don't play with matches!" LOL Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

Paulette said...

Oh gosh, how cute is that?! Definitely worth the mess, I'd say. And I'm all for playing with fire whenever the opportunity arises!

tara said...

The green and blue rocks! I wonder if I can find any synthetic fabric here. Thanks.

Michelle said...

Lovely!

Dee said...

how cool are these! especially the aqua ones! beautiful and thanks for the tute!

Miri said...

Beautiful!

p.s.phyllis sews said...

Loved the tutorial. Your pictures were great!

Carla said...

Thanks for the tutorial! This would be awesome too on a bag, a corsage, or a sweater.

Dayna said...

These are so adorable. My youngest daughter would love these!

Anonymous said...

Very cute, love the grilled cheese in the middle too!

Morgan said...

HAHAHA OFFSET THE FLOWER SO YOU DONT HAVE A FLOWER ON THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD!!!!!! oh the things that crack me up
sigh...
anyway, i will be making some to add to my collection of millions...THANKS!

Pippablue said...

I love the blue flower headband!

hair clips said...

Fabulous tutorial. I know how much effort goes into a tutorial like that -- so thank you! Such a cute headband!

hair clips said...

Fabulous tutorial. I know how much effort goes into a tutorial like that -- so thank you! Such a cute headband!

K.E.N said...

I better have a girl so I can try that out.

Pat/Odie/Mimi said...

My daughter loves these, so I went to Hobby Lobby and bought all colors of satin. Thanks so much for the tips with the net that just makes them really POP.